lichess.org
Donate

20s-first-move rule in CHESS 960

@Unihedron

What has to happen, that you would say the first move of a variant or regular game needs more than 20 seconds?

You have 30 seconds to reply! :-)

( I guess this thread is getting closed soon, he can't hold his position.. "I'm not going to read that all" is a bad sign for lack of answers )
@Uni, your argument IS about comrpomising. You are saying that because there is only 20 seconds or the like in a tournament you must compromise your first move and just deal with it by making anything playable and then continue playing a real game from there. I feel this is flawed logic.

In all other variants, the starting position is known, so the first move is already something that has likely been decided before the game starts. "If I get White, I will play d4; if White plays d4, I will play d5, if White plays e4, I will play c5" for example. You have perfect information going into the start of the game and you don't need more than 20-30 seconds to make a move.

But in 960 the starting information is randomized. Information is no longer perfect PRIOR to entering the game, you don't have perfect information until the board is set. So demanding that a first move be made in just a few seconds is saying we must compromise the quality of the entire game by, as you say just "finding any move that will work" and then playing on from there.

You're entirely missing the other side and have yet to challenge it directly, you are simply making personal arguments that "well what I do is..." and aligning yourself with the status quo because it's easier to do so than to actually examine the points being addressed here. I love you, guy, but sometimes you get really "it is what it is" with your arguments without even considering what's being challenged.
The funny thing is, if I use the training puzzles (level hard) from lichess I need the most time for the first move?
And when I guessed a puzzle wrong it's nearly everytime the first move that was wrong, because I didn't understand the perfect plan in this situation what is needed for solving the puzzles.

But why discuss about if the second best winning move in a puzzle is a fail if in a real game you are forced to accept that the 5.th best move should be good enough for you.

somebody has seen unihedron?
Oh maybe player blundered and has left the board... :-)
I've got this feeling someone in running away from this topic..
Not everyone can be in team gryffindor...
I stopped using the forum. I don't get the information I want and goal-oriented discussions. If there is any need to talk send me a post.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.