lichess.org
Donate

New Feature

Option to not play Provisional Players. every other classical game is against a new lichess member with 1200 bullet rating and 2000 classical with under 100 games and I just know he is going to cheat and by exiting the game I am getting warned for abandoning games and threatened to be banned. this is not justifiable. please do something

lichess.org/oqI5tVuOLUSz
How would that work exactly? If no one rated played people with provisional rating, then how would they get a rating at all?
How do you know he is going to cheat though? Maybe if you share this knowledge, lichess will ban them, don't you think?
Well, you refused to play me based on this criteria. I just started playing chess about a year ago, and I'm very slow still. My trainer tells me "you have to learn to walk before you can run". Because I play A LOT of classical chess formats OTB and on lichess, of course my rating is much higher on Classical, while on Blitz and Bullet I'm still quite bad; I make lots of mistakes and hang pieces. These is in part (I suppose) because the patterns and ideas don't come as automatic to me as yet. But I find it extremely insulting and presumptuous that you would accuse me of being a cheater solely based on that (which you did, actually). So perhaps you sould not make so many assumptions regarding the player in front of you and just play and enjoy the game!

And if you still think I'm a cheater, look at how many blunders my games have and perhaps you'll be persuaded hahaha.

Cheers.
I again suggest that ratings be displayed r ± 2*RD since idiots are spooked by the question mark next to a rating.
Glad to see I'm not the only one who considers this player's objection to be completely silly.
  *sigh* This isn’t a new feature request. It’s been asked for a couple dozen times in the past year, alone (that I’ve noticed). And the answer will always be the same:
  Get used to it.
  I wholeheartedly endorse Toadofsky’s suggestion: ratings should be displayed as a range, from the getgo. That’s a terrific idea, since the fixed number is simply misleading. I think some people are entirely too concerned with those four digits. They are a general guideline, not an exact science. And there’s no such thing as the latter, since everyone misses an obvious move one day, then gets lucky the next. Depending on the time control, even the World Champion blunders now and then; and most players’ ratings oscillate by a couple hundred points in either direction, with some regularity. ‾\_(ツ)_/‾ This is normal, and should be expected.
  If GM David Howell (howitzer14) loses on time to a relatively low-rated player (which means most folks here, since he’s on the Leaderboard [or was till recently]), his rating takes a big hit for that one game; and it will likely take him several wins to earn the points back. Does he complain about this? . . . I bet he doesn’t even notice. And if you look at his profile, you can see what I mean: a swing between about 2700 and 3000 in bullet, every month, regular as clockwork. His rating drops down, then climbs back up, over and over again. But that same graph also shows you his peak rating, and average rating over time; and surely both these figures are more informative than his current rating, whatever that happens to be at the moment. (I’m sure most people would tell you their rating is usually artificially low. 😉)
  Indeed, when Lichess changed its rating system a while back, several well-established players suddenly received provisional ratings. You can see this on ScissorGal69’s profile, for example, just because she’s been absent from the site since that change was implemented. And if that can happen to her, then _your_ rating may one day return to provisional territory; and if your “feature” were implemented, how would you get your points back, eh?
  If it bothers you so much, perhaps try Zen Mode, which hides people’s ratings altogether. 😛 And when you’re searching for a game, just look for opponents whose ratings are within a couple hundred points of yours, in either direction, as there’s really no need to be more specific than that. (Especially since losses to high-rated, and wins against low-rated players won’t affect your rating hardly at all.) Since every chessplayer is unique, and has off days, you will likely never get a 100% accurate pairing. And even if you do, I bet his current rating differs substantially from yours; so you wouldn’t be able to tell by the number, anyway. It’s good for certain basic inferences, nothing more. When you do meet a particularly worthy opponent, friend him; then play him again later, instead of random strangers. That’s the closest you can get to avoiding the perpetual question mark. (Bearing in mind that he’ll have good days and bad, too.)
  If you’re neither a beginner nor grandmaster, then ratings should help you to avoid facing opponents at those extremes. But beyond that, they won’t help you a bit, especially if you are close to the default bracket. You shouldn’t be too self-conscious about your own rating, either. As long as it’s not dropping from one year to the next, but shows a gradual improvement — or at least stays about the same — you have nothing to worry about. 🙂 Look at the general trend, not the specific number; and only after the game, not during it. (During it, just play the best you can, regardless.) And don’t worry about cheaters: if your opponent is cheating, he shall be caught, and your points will be refunded. Don’t ever let that stop you from playing a game. Analyze it afterward, and catch him; learn what you can from the experience, and move on.
  Finally, if you are deliberately aborting games, then you deserve to be banned from this site. Please don’t ever do that, for any reason; it is unacceptable behavior. Period.
  Just my 2¢.
the story is simple. most cheaters get banned, make new accounts and try to cheat again. this is why I try my best to avoid new players at all cost. then you have players with 2000 classical rating and 1200 blitz with only around 100 games played, this draws red flags regardless if legit or not. if I wasn't being punished for refusing to play a game with someone that just made their account yesterday or suspicious unbalanced ratings, then this wouldn't be a discussion. if this offends you, then likely you are or was a cheater. these are the necessary steps to do my best to avoid being cheated..

yes I use the rating to adjust the opponents to be near my own. this doesn't avoid the issue.
yes I've tried zen, that doesn't help avoid being cheated, if anything causes more opportunity to be cheated
studies have shown nearly 50% of online gamers cheat. this doesn't completely reflect on chess. just in general
so I imagine is about the same on any given chess website. I've seen a GM cheat, a IM cheat and a FM cheat. doesn't matter what titles you have. there's gonna be cheaters at all levels when it comes to online chess, online gaming

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.